Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Honey Oat Flapjack


This is a recipe from my childhood. British Flapjack is an oat bar made with golden syrup, butter, soft brown sugar and porridge oats (oatmeal). It is absolutely delicious and probably one of my Dad's favourite sweet snacks. As a teenager growing up in the U.K it's one of those recipes that everyone was taught to make at school in Home Economics and it's something I still make now I've moved Stateside. It's sort of a crossover between a cereal bar and a cookie. 
I prefer my flapjack ,ade the traditional way with golden shrup but I make my flapjack for Miss E with honey and either brown rice syrup or maple syrup instead of golden syrup.

Recipe:
1/4 cup of Clover Honey
1/2 cup of Maple syrup
1/2 cup of soft brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
2 1/2 cups of oatmeal (not quick cook)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a saucepan melt the butter, sugar, honey and syrup over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the oatmeal.

Pour into a buttered 8x8 baking dish lined with parchment or non stick pan and bake for 30 minutes until lightly golden brown and slightly puffed.

Allow to cool fully before cutting into 2 inch squares. Serve warm or cold.

Optional: 2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
1/2 cup of raisins

No comments:

Post a Comment