Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rebekah's creamy chicken and asparagus dijon

Today was one of those busy days, you know the ones, with the laundry mountains and dust bunnies and difficult toddler tantrums. It was exactly the type of night I'd normally give up trying to make something nutritious and head straight for chicken nuggets! But, I thought, no...I know I can whip something up if I use a little imagination. 

So here we were, It was 5:30 pm and my hubby was due home from work within half an hour...no doubt chomping at the bit for a hearty dinner. He had already texted me from the bus, "what's for dinner?" Indeed, what was for dinner? No time for grocery shopping and no idea what to make, I had a dig in my refrigerator. I remembered earlier in the week I had bought some delicious asparagus. I love asparagus, especially served with a big juicy steak, liberally sprinkled with salt and pepper and a dash of butter and lemon juice. I had used half the asparagus already for dinner three days ago in just such a way and figured it needed using up pretty soon. I just really hoped as I dug through the vegetable drawer that I had remembered to wrap it up and not just thrown it in the drawer in haste. Yup, there it was still fresh, tucked into a plastic grocery store bag. Now, i knew i had some defrosted chicken in there somewhere. Since i usually buy my chicken in bulk, divide it and freeze it in easily defrost-able portions. I found a zip lock bag with 2 defrosted chicken breasts and noticed we had some fat free half and half, glancing to my refrigerator door my old staples and ah ha, yes, grainy Dijon mustard, perfecto! Chicken and asparagus Dijon I thought, great!!!



 Recipe 

2 cloves of garlic chopped 
2 chicken breasts sliced or cubed 
1 tablespoon of olive oil 
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth 
1/2 dozen ribs of asparagus chopped into 1/4 inch pieces 
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard 
1/2 cup of half and half or for a healthier substitute you could use sour cream or for a touch of decadence some heavy cream 
1 tsp of salt 
1/2 tsp of pepper 
1 teaspoon of dried parsley 
2 tbs of four mixed to a paste with 1tbs of cold water (for thickening)

In a large skillet heat the olive oil and sauté garlic over a medium low heat taking care not to burn. Add the chicken increase the heat and cook until slightly browned (5minutes) add the asparagus and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, Dijon mustard and parsley, reduce the heat and bring to a simmer. Add the thickening slurry and stir until thickened, ass the cream or half and half and serve over creamy potatoes, noodles or rice.My hubby and E enjoyed this served over mashed russet potatoes.

Here's my delicious Creamy ranch potatoes recipe.
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces.
Place the potatoes in cold water and run the water until it is fairly clear.
Boil the potatoes, without salting until fork tender.
Drain the potatoes and shake well to remove my excess water and give them a floury consistency.
In a microwave heat 1/4 cup of half and half until hot, 30-45 seconds.
Add a teaspoon of salt and some fresh cracked black pepper to the potatoes and using a hand whisk slowly break up the potatoes. Add the hot half and half and 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing. Whisk the potatoes for a minute until creamy and smooth, but don't overbeat. This is Miss E's absolute favourite potatoes!!! Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment