Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lorien's Sesame Ginger Chicken

I love love love my crockpot! AND... when things are hectic, it is a lifesaver! Being at home with two boys under two keeps me moving and moving, but it does not always leave time for proper dinner preparation. That is why if I can make it in advance or start in the morning (because my boys are always at their best right after breakfast) I will.
I also love asian food. Takeout is great, but not always the healthiest or most economical option. Unfortunately, I am not an expert at asian cooking. The flavor is so bold and complex, but, after some tweaking, I have found a good crockpot recipe for a sesame ginger chicken.

Recipe

4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 medium sweet onion
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 grated garlic cloves
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1.5 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sesame seeds (toasted if you have them)
1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
Pinch of salt (to taste)

1. Grate ginger* and garlic using grater or microplane (I find a microplane works really well).
*if you have never worked with fresh ginger, a potato peeler works really well to peel the barky outer layer off.

2. Peel and cut onion. Onion should be cut in half and then sliced thickly for best results.

3. Put everything into crockpot, except cornstarch, mix well and cover.

4. Cook on low for 4 hours.

5. Once your chicken is done there will be quite a bit of liquid in the crockpot. Drain this off and thicken with 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch to use as a sauce. The cornstarch should be whisked into cold water (~1 Tbsp) and then added to liquid for sauce. Bring to a simmer and let simmer on low heat for 3-5 minutes. Turn off and let cool.

6. Serve with veggies and/or rice.

Helpful Hint: It really brings a new level to the flavor if you sear the chicken and onions in a wok on high heat before serving!


No comments:

Post a Comment