Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chic-fil-a copycat chicken sandwich

I'm going to come right out and admit it, I LOVE me some chic-fil-a! So does my 16 month old daughter Esmé. I also love to cook and recreating recipes is my passion so, I thought I'd give the chic-fil-a sandwich a whirl, and this is what I came up with.

Ingredients
Serves 4
2 large chicken breasts cut horizontally
1 ripe tomato
4 ribs of lettuce
4 slices of cheddar or pepper jack cheese
4 soft white hamburger buns
8 dill pickle slices
2 tablespoons of butter

For the brine
1 quart of cold water
1/4 cup of salt
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of pickle juice
1 ziplock bag

For the coating
2 cups of Ap flour
1 tsp of baking powder
2 generous tablespoons of black pepper
1 teaspoon of cayenne (optional)
1 tablespoon of dried milk powder
2 beaten eggs

Place the four chicken pieces in the brine in a ziplock bag and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour.
Assemble the breading mixture and place into another ziplock bag
Beat the two eggs, remove two tablespoons of the egg mixture and add it to the dry breading, mix thoroughly until the breading becomes clumpy.

Remove the chicken and pat dry.
Dip in the egg mixture and then coat in the breading, pressing the mixture into the chicken.
Gently shake the chicken to give a ruffly, cracked looking texture to the breading.

Fry the chicken in 1qt peanut oil at 350 degrees until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

Gently toast the buns bottom side down in a skillet using the butter until lightly golden brown.

Add the drained, fried chicken, a slice of cheese, 2 pickle slices, 1 rib of lettuce broken in two and a juicy slice of tomato.

Serve hot and fresh.



No comments:

Post a Comment